Tuesday, February 07, 2006

CBR keeps on diggin' on Black History Month.

Big props to CBR for this comics-themed nod to Black History Month.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=6594

From the intro/info page:

'STANDING ON THE SHOULDERS OF GIANTS, PART 1: A CONVERSATION WITH JAMAL IGLE

Welcome, folks, to what is the first in a series of interviews celebrating Black History month here at CBR. I'm your host, Vince Moore. In the weeks to come, I will be bringing you interviews with a selection of black creators, past, present, and future, to learn from them and their struggles and to share their stories with you.

Our first interview is with Jamal Igle, penciler of "Firestorm: The Nuclear Man." As he has recently signed an exclusive with DC Comics, it felt like it was time to sit down with him across the Internet and learn more about this working-for-many-years-overnight-success.'


I still need to read the interview, but I'm still impressed.
I may comment more, later.

EDIT: I read the interview. There was little about it that seemed uniquely "Black," which isn't necessarily a bad thing. The window Mr. Igle provided into the world of an aspiring (at first, then veteran) comic book illustrator was interesting and somewhat new to me. I'm not familiar with that many Black comic book creators. Hell, I'm not even sure I knew Mr. Igle was Black.

That wasn't essential information, but sometimes it helps to see oneself reflected in the things you dig. Plus, sometimes it's not just about the message, but the messenger. It shouldn't always be that way, but sometimes it speaks to authenticity.

Here's an interesting excerpt:
'CBR: But you didn't feel that your being black was a hindrance to your career, part of why you weren't getting work? Or do you think too much is made by some people of your ethnicity? Is it a non-issue?

JI:
I try not to make my race an issue because my name doesn't ear mark me specifically as being black. I still get flyers from the U.S. Army in Farsi because Jamal is an Arabic name. I don't know if my being black has been a hindrance. I've been steadily employed doing comics for the last seven years, and a lot of that, I hope, has more to do with the fact that my skills have improved. At the same time, I will admit that, if I looked like John Cassaday, a few more doors would probably open as far as promoting my career. ' (emphasis-mine)



Questions? Comments?

No comments: