Tuesday, June 20, 2006

A Racist Bone

Blame it on BK.






No, not that one!












Yeah. That's the one. (Freaky.)







This is the kind of thing that makes a person racist-by-inches. Those who think they haven't got a racist bone in their bodies are often the ones who, like a Bizarro-Wolverine, have entire SKELETONS *LACED* with racism!

I took my HONGREY (!) ass to Burger King, yesterday, after work, because I couldn't take it, anymore. I needed some food and I needed it "NOW!"

Although I'd received poor service at this particular location, I was really hungry and it'd been a long time since I'd returned.

I walked up in there and there were nothing but Black folks behind the counter. Almost every single one of them made eye-contact with me, at one point or another, but do you think even ONE of them asked, "May I help you?"

HELL naw.

Pissed me UP.

Then the Fed-Ex guy walks in and they (finally) attend to him. He tries to bum a soft drink off of them and they spend a good minute or so with the apparent manager asking what the guy wants and the guy naming shit they don't carry.

All of this was particularly ridiculous since it was a self-serve set-up. Give the man a damned cup and send his free-loadin' ass on his way. *I* actually plan to PAY YOU for the shit *I* want!

Howsabout the manager, seeing that the Fed-Ex guy was taken care of, looked at me, said, "S'up, Blood," then walked his anachronistic ass BACK into the recesses of the 3$^$# %$&@$%&in' BK!

I told the apparently Indian young woman behind me, "good luck," and walked my ass up outta there, pissed that THIS was the impression my people were making on so many. Probably some of the same mo' fo's talkin' about "representin'."

Between this and the trend of outsourcing phone customer service to India, I'm gonna be racist as hell against Blacks AND Indians. Damned shame, that.


This post is partly facetious, but the point is that, after a while, people begin to associate certain behavior with certain sights and sounds. Poor in-person service is too frequently from young, Black folks (although it's likely that the problem has more to do with the age and wage, in most cases).

Poor telephone customer service is too frequently from well-intentioned, but less-than-fluent Indian associates. That's the company's fault and these people's manners then to be on-point.

That doesn't change the fact that one has to *actively* try NOT to associate dark skin or accents with negative experiences.

Damn.

No comments: