Saturday, December 23, 2006

Squid Whoa

Until 2005, no one had taken a picture of a live giant squid, although I believe some dead ones had washed ashore from time-to-time.

Now, in 2006, some folks actually succeeded in capturing video footage of a live architeuthis, as the squid are formally known.

Great. My only beef?

They filmed it, captured it, and killed it.


S'kinda hard for me to get excited about this scientific find if they were just going to kill the damned thing and chop it up. I don't really see the point in trying to catch a live one if you're just gonna kill it (even as a side-effect of its capture).

Now I'm wishing they'd never found the damned thing.



Source: AOL News

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They killed it?? Boo.

West said...

I gathered so from the following:

"The latest specimen, whose formalin-preserved carcass was displayed at a news conference at the museum in Tokyo, was caught on a baited hook laid 2,150 ft under the sea off the Ogasawara islands, on December 4, the scientists said."

Maybe I misunderstood?