Tuesday, July 18, 2006

More Shaving Tips for Black Men

About a month or two, ago, I mentioned the shaving techniques and tips that helped me, a 32-year-old Black male, shave with a razor without so many razor bumps. You can find the original entry here.

I don't have a whole lot to add, now, but I did want to mention a couple of other tips I've stumbled upon since then (one or two came from other Black men in the McDuffie forum):


1) I put rubbing alcohol on a face cloth, and apply to recently-shaved facial areas.

I know that sounds bad, but I think it's made quite a difference for my face, killing anything that might likely infect my vulnerable skin.


2)
Right after that dries, I apply Nivea aftershave to pamper my traumatized dermis.

It's a nice alternative to just lotioning up my face (which I do, anyway, once the aftershave dries).


3)
I replace the blades on my Gillette Sensor Excel razor after a couple or three times shaving my beard.

I didn't realize how much thicker my facial hair is than the hair on my head (which I also shave while my beard soaks in the applied shaving foam). The beard dulls those blades much more quickly so, after a few days, I find myself wondering if I soaked my beard enough or if I shaved incorrectly... when the real problem is that I can't reuse the blades 20-30 times before discarding them


I hope that helps someone out there. Feel free to share what works for you, in the comments section.

3 comments:

YouToldHarpoTaBeatMe said...

Thanks! I'm passing this on to my hubby. Seems like every other week, he has to find a new method, so he doesn't bump up.

West said...

LOL!

I LOVE YOUR NAME! I'm gonna hafta tell somebody, right now!


(You're welcome, by the way. Come back soon.)

MicroTouch Switchblade said...

It might be best to keep a straight razor for those who have sensitive skin. Good post.