Wednesday, June 21, 2006

West's Shaving Tips for Black Men

This might come across like a commercial, but it's not.

If you are or you know one of those men who suffers badly from razor bumps after using a traditional razor, the following may be of-interest to you.

I'm one of the many, many Black men who catches three shades of hell if I try to put a razor on my face. That's why I've, more often than not, used electric clippers/mustache trimmers for my facial grooming needs. It's fairly close, very precise, and definitely less painful.

Unfortunately, it's somewhat labor-intensive and doesn't result in the kind of close shave I'd get with razor (the first couple of days before the bumps and in-grown hairs start up, at least).

I've tried, for YEARS, to find the right combination of devices and chemicals, techniques and ages (hoping that it'd get better as I got older), but I met with little success.

So, here's what I've found, so far, in my years (and especially the last 9 months and the past week) of shaving:

1) Soak the hairs/skin with hot water for a while before you begin (or just shower immediately before).
Softening the hair and skin increases the chances that the more coarse follicles will do more than bend to your will; they will break.

2) Wet face and apply el-cheapo shaving foam.
I've found that the cheap stuff is just as effective as, if not more, Black Opal, AND that getting it on there with a bit of moisture yields the best results.

3) Shave. Very. Slowly.
This was the key that I only recently discovered. You want to do the job with the least number of strokes (easiest on the skin), so shave slowwwwly enough to get the hairs the first time.
Besides, I'd imagine that a razor burn is much like a friction burn, so speed is the enemy.


4) IMPORTANT: Do not shave against-the-grain.
If you do, it'll be the closest damned shave EVER... but you'll likely pay for it with a bumpy, painful mug.

5) After cleaning up and drying off, apply some good moisturizing lotion or after-shave.
Moisturizing is a good idea, anyway, but especially after the trauma of scraping a razor across the skin.


I do this every morning and my face has been smoother and softer than it has in a long time. I'm very pleased with the results.

And so's my girlfriend.

Anyway, I hope that helps. Good luck!

No comments: