Thursday, March 23, 2006

So, when do you consider the relationship "official?"

Is it...

a) AFTER you two sleep together, then wake up assuming that your recent physical bond 1) was(/n't) born of an emotional bond and 2) (/hadn't) resulted in a mental bond that makes your new exclusive, monogamous, official relationship status... something that goes without saying?
[Does it matter if it was a bit o' petting vs. a bit o' oral sex, vs. a bit o' stickin' n movin'? Does that make a difference?]

...OR...

b) ...do you have "the talk" afterward?

...OR...

c) ...do you make sure, before-hand, that the other person knows that if a relationship gets physical, that means... it is (/not) a done-deal?

...OR...

d) ???





2 comments:

boy-man said...

I always think its a good idea to establish official status of the relationship before sex.

There are exceptions of course such as a second date that goes really really really well.

West said...

I haven't been single in years, but as I recall...

I was always honest, but I usually let things be what they'd be, without assuming that made us an official couple.

People who choose to take that chance need to be prepared to deal with the consequences. That goes for both those who will become emotionally attached (after a physical "attachment") and those to whom they will become attached.

I often let my needs and desires over-ride the fact that I *knew* that it was a very rare woman, indeed, who could participate in a physical relationship without the requisite exclusivity.

There were positive and negative consequences associated with those decisions. Anyway, that's what I did.

The "official" relationship didn't start until we explicitly agreed that it did. Basically, after we had "the talk."