Thursday, January 05, 2006

More B.H.M. b.s.

"More Black History Month bullshit"


The source article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10482634/

An excerpt: ' NEW YORK - Morgan Freeman says the concept of a month dedicated to black history is "ridiculous."

"You're going to relegate my history to a month?" the 68-year-old actor says in an interview on CBS' "60 Minutes" to air Sunday (7 p.m. EST). "I don't want a black history month. Black history is American history."

Black History Month has roots in historian Carter G. Woodson's Negro History Week, which he designated in 1926 as the second week in February to mark the birthdays of Frederick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln.

Woodson said he hoped the week could one day be eliminated — when black history would become fundamental to American history.

Freeman notes there is no "white history month," and says the only way to get rid of racism is to "stop talking about it."

The actor says he believes the labels "black" and "white" are an obstacle to beating racism.

"I am going to stop calling you a white man and I'm going to ask you to stop calling me a black man," Freeman says. '

My first response: ' I really enjoy Morgan Freeman's work, but this is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. I'm hoping there's a bit more context to this statement. I'll check the full article out, later.

BHM is a fine idea but suffers, sometimes, from less than ideal application. I'm not sure how much it's still needed - probably less than when I was a young'un. I still think it's necessary, for some, though. '

My second response: 'Now that I've read the article, I'm even more bothered by Freeman's statements (or the unfortunate editing).

"You're going to relegate my history to a month?" the 68-year-old actor says in an interview on CBS' "60 Minutes" to air Sunday (7 p.m. EST). "I don't want a black history month. Black history is American history."

I see nothing in this statement (although the article acknowledges it) that recognizes the very necessary origins of Black History Month. Instead of saying, "I know why we have it, but it's time to expand it some more," his statement comes across like the kind of blind condemnation of compromise that I'd expect from someone used to being in the majority - someone unacquainted with or apathetic to the oppression and omission of African-Americans.


Freeman notes there is no "white history month," and says the only way to get rid of racism is to "stop talking about it."

As I and others noted earlier, ignoring a problem isn’t the most practical or responsible solution. I’d prefer to stand up and face the problem, as opposed to turning a blind eye to it. Neither solution may work, but the first one seems to be a hell of a lot more likely than the latter.


The actor says he believes the labels "black" and "white" are an obstacle to beating racism.
"I am going to stop calling you a white man and I'm going to ask you to stop calling me a black man," Freeman says.


I’ve noted, before, just how horrible a job some of these journalists do when reporting a story. It’s like they received no training and lack the ability to look at a situation with the eyes of someone who just encountered it, for the first time. Context is often lacking – much like essential details which would paint a clearer picture and provide the proper perspective for those reading the words of others. This article looks like another example.
Does Mr. Freeman think all labels are useless or is he saying all racial and ethnic labels are? Maybe he’s saying those and only those particular labels are more harmful than helpful. I don’t know, but I think I should be able to tell from this article.


As it stands, this looks like Mr. Freeman is saying that if I don’t call you “white” and you don’t call me “Black,” no one will call me “nigger.” That is, quite simply, ri-goddamned-diculous. '

There's a third response that I may add, later, but I just wanted to briefly (Ha!) recap this before revisiting the portion of this topic covered by THE RUSS PARR MORNING SHOW...


I don't see where it says this in the article, but I've heard a number of Black people complaining about Black History Month being in the shortest month of the year, as if this was thrust-upon us. If it was, someone, please enlighten me. As it stands, I beLIEVE that *we* chose February because of Lincoln's and Douglass's birthdays. If you didn't know that, cool. Now you do, so cut it out.

If you already knew that, as some admit to, then WHY THE HELL DO YOU KEEP SAYING IT* LIKE THE WHITE MAN DID IT TO US?!

I am SO tired of hearing that shit from people who apparently know better - and, honestly, from people who don't (but mostly the former). It weakens your argument and it paints an unfair and inaccurate picture.

I think that about sums it up, so I'll stop there. *exhales*



I think my next post is gonna be about context because it's sorely lacking in much of what people repeat, these days.




* - Those that do, anyway.

No comments: