Sunday, November 13, 2005

"Jarhead"

I saw the commercials for the movie, "Jarhead." I wasn't terribly impressed. Still, I found that the movie kept popping up here and there. Some acquaintances were talking about it and the ads were here and there. I decided to give it a shot. FYI: I saw it by my damned-self. No girlfriend reaction to share, this time - not from me, anyway. A bud mentioned that he doesn't think the average woman would appreciate the kind of humor and topics that tickle the shit out of the male audience members. I dunno. Depends on the woman, I guess.

Oh yeah. Gotta do my duty and tell you that this write-up will be spoiler-free. I won't reveal anything to you that I, the original spoiler-phobe, wouldn't wanna know about. Besides, this'll be quick.

source: IMDB

Who's in it?: Jake Gyllenhaal and Jamie Foxx

Plot Outline: Based on former Marine Anthony Swofford's best-selling 2003 book about his pre-Desert Storm experiences in Saudi Arabia and about his experiences fighting in Kuwait.


The only real purpose of this entry is to tell you I saw this flick and to let you know that a "real person" dug it. That comes in handy, sometimes.

Jake's and Jamie's performances were impressive and I ain't impressed as easily as some. Don't go in there expecting to be blown away, though, or you won't. It's not that you've gotta have low expectations for them to be met so much as the fact that this movie isn't as formulaic as some, so it's probably best to walk in that theater prepared to go for a ride - without asking "Where're we goin'?"

It's a different (and rare) depiction of the Desert Shield and Storm experiences of U.S. soldiers and it delivers an amusing and revealing tale.

Recommended.

No comments: