Thursday, April 05, 2007

The Light's Lie

See the light at the end of the tunnel? Me, too.
But the light lies.

At one point during my journey back from Maryland, last week, I had to cross the Chesapeake Bay. The bridge I crossed connected to the tunnel in the picture, which was under the Chesapeake.

But once I emerged from the tunnel, I realized there was a five-mile series of three bridges and two tunnels to traverse before I'd make it beyond the Bay.

Below is as much of it a I could capture in a photograph.

Click to enlarge.
I'm not at my best under water or in the air, so making my way beyond the Chesapeake a week, ago, was mildly analogous to my journey through this illness. I made beyond a very rough period, but recent events, combined with my weak limbs and dizzy head, tell me that it's still not over, yet... even after seeing the light, at the end of the tunnel.

I guess the best I can do is be aware of the light's lie, while using its promise as motivation and inspiration, to get me closer to my short-term and ultimate goals.

2 comments:

Shai said...

West, another nice pic. I can see using that for an affirmation poster or a poem.

I hope you feel better. I am not good on the bridge that connects Detroit to Canada or the tunnel that also connects the two.

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, I've been across the Chesapeake bridge......twice. I think the word "bridge" is too small for what that thing is. Its monstrous.

I feel for you and this illness. And you're traveling at the same time? I don't know how you are managing to keep your strength up. My prayers are with you.