Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Sleeping on the Job

Apparently, this is a good thing - which I'm glad to hear since I do it, when I can.

According to an NPR segment I heard, this morning, most Americans don't get enoughs sleep. As a result, many folks slip under their desks, in their workplace restrooms, and into their vehicles, to catch a few winks.

I've been known to prop myself up in my truck, with the a/c and engine on, from time-to-time.
I don't know about you, but I don't sleep the quality or quantity of sleep that I'd prefer.

Sometimes, I'm so drowsy, at work, that I take a break... then take a nap. Fifteen minutes of silent somnolence and I'm recharged for the afternoon!
Some workplaces have nap-rooms set up for employees to "recharge" for a little while, then return to work sharper and more energetic. Not all of us are lucky enough to work in such places, though. For those folks, there's at least one alternative (if you live in NYC, anyway).
There's at least one business that simply provides a place to take a snooze. Apparently, it's catching on. Here's a link and an excerpt:
' On the 24th floor of the Empire State building, in a small space that could be leased by one of the many attorneys in the building, the MetroNaps founders set up a station of specially-designed sleep pods, offering twenty minutes of repose for $13.45. A “wake-station,” with mints, refreshing spray, hand towels and a locker for your things completes the experience.

[...]

MetroNaps is quick to point out the science behind the value of naptime. According to one study conducted by a researcher at Harvard quoted on their website, a nap of one half hour significantly improved performance on repetitive perceptual and cognitive tasks. In our discussion, Lindholst noted that the 20-minute naptime in their pods was carefully calculated to allow five minutes for falling asleep and fifteen minutes of naptime. According to their research, fifteen minutes is the optimal nap time during the afternoon energy slump.

[...]

Lindholst recalled development of their trademarked pod, “We strove to come up with a practical tool and one that had a great aesthetic. We deconstructed the napping experience and came up with a design that is driving the napping discussion.” The Pod, which allows one to elevate the feet to increase circulation and take stress off the lower back, is much better designed for sleep than a toilet seat. We spoke to one Midtown office worker with experience in toilet sleeping, who noted that sitting on the toilet for too long can cause your legs to fall asleep. '
Supply and demand, at work, ladies n gentlemen. S'a beautiful thing.
For now, though, I guess I'll settle for fifteen minutes in the cab of my truck.


What do you think?

2 comments:

Blah Blah Blah said...

ummm, i am literally 2 blocks from the empire state building...
i printed this out and tried to gain entry to said nap pods...
nada..zilch...cain't get up in these parts 'less you have an employee pass to work THAT particular floor.
I told them that you, West, co-signed....still nothing.

Back to catching Z's in the copy room.
Thanks alot yo!
LOL

West said...

Whaaaat?!
Damn. Post-9/11 security is a #$^#!@, huh?!

You thought mentioning my name would help?! You're lucky they didn't put you UNDER the jail! ;-p

That security thing is a real trip, though.