Monday, June 19, 2006

Movie Review - Pixar's "CARS"

* As usual, I begin by stating that my only qualifications as a reviewer extend no further than my love of television and film. I'm not an academic, when it comes to this particular topic. I just talk about what I like and what I don't like. *


The Story.
The Plot Outline, according to the Internet Movie Database (IMDB): "Cars Is the saga of Lightning McQueen, a hot-shot animated stock-car voiced by actor Owen Wilson. In route to a big race, the cocky McQueen gets waylaid in Radiator Springs, where he finds the true meaning of friendship and family."

Simply put, the story of "Cars" immediately and consistently reminded me that Michael J. Fox, early 90's flick, "Doc Hollywood," from the moment I first heard about it. After having watched Pixar's latest animated feature, this weekend, my feelings haven't changed.

Maybe it's a "classic" tale, kinda like "boy meets girl, boy loses girl," but it didn't feel like a classic tale. It felt more like a recycled one.

Having talking cars as the lead characters in an animated feature isn't a new idea, either, but I was more receptive to it, for some reason. Maybe because I feel like the old Tex Avery (I assume) 'toons of yesteryear were so great that expanding upon them and attempting to realize the full breath of their potential seemed like an inspired notion.

The Acting.
This is a toughie with an animated feature, but I'll give it a shot.

When you take away everything an actor has except his or her voice, then replace those things with animated characters, there's a certain amount of visual and audio acting that helps one buy into the story.

In the case of "Cars," both were adequate, but neither was spectacular. Owen Wilson, in particular, seemed like a rather blah choice, at times, during this movie. The broken-nose charm he apparently exudes on the big screen was largely absent, this time. Maybe because the car wasn't blonde. I dunno. The performance wasn't bad, but it, again, wasn't particularly inspiring, either.

I think Paul Newman provided one of the other voices, which was great to know... but just "okay" to hear.

I WILL say that the presence of two rather well-known car enthusiasts providing their very distinctive voices and humor was truly inspired. Lasseter, the director, said that including these guys was a no-brainer. I think he was being modest.

While their "on-screen" time was very limited, and their humor somewhat muted, it was still something of a treat.

The StoryTELLING.
I admit it. I expect a lot from Pixar.

Their stories and storytelling skills are pretty much on-par with their cgi talents.

With "Cars," I wondered if the Disney merger neutered them in some way (unlikely, considering the timing and the nature of the merger). These sentient automobiles lacked a certain emotive traction and the story and storytelling lacked the originality and inertia of their previous efforts.

I knew what was going on, but I only cared so much because, not only was it predictable, but it was predictably predictable, if that makes any sense. I knew what was coming and I knew I was right about it... and I was.

They told their story adequately, I suppose, but I guess I've seen too much and lack the unbiased eye necessary to say if they actually raised the bar, in some way. From what I can tell, they didn't.

Recommended?
FOR KIDS-ONLY: If they're really young, sure.

FOR ADULTS: Sadly, no.

"I've watched Finding Nemo. Finding Nemo is a fave of mine.
This, sir, is no Finding Nemo."


If you're a big Pixar/Disney fan, wait until it hits your $1 theater OR if you've got a Blockbuster Movie Pass, catch it on dvd.

But don't pay a lot and don't expect much.

No comments: