Friday, April 07, 2006

Conversations with strangers...

Online discussions are probably the greatest example of this, but I have in-person conversations or verbal exchanges with random strangers, fairly often. Surprisingly, a fair number of them tend to be pleasant. This is one example:

I went to Winn-Dixie, a grocery store, to look for an apparently discontinued Kool-Aid flavor. I hit the jackpot and found 70 packs at a reduced price.* I grabbed an extra 5lb bag of sugar and** went to the register.

The clerk who rung up my items, a college-aged white female, made a remark about my loot, too, and we had a friendly exchange while she rung up each pack individually (apparently they have to do that in some cases). While she was working her way through my stack, I reacted to something I saw and shook my head. She asked what it was due to.

"You don't want to know," I said.
"Yes, I do."
"No, really. You don't want to know." Apparently, this intrigued the hell out of her. I became curious about the reason for HER curiosity, but I stuck to my guns.
"I do. What is it?"
"Are you sure?"
"Yes."
"That young lady that just walked by had a REALLY BIG butt."
". . ."
". . ."
"Yeah. I didn't wanna know that."
" :D "

(edited to add...) I forgot to mention other elements of the exchange that I found amusing.

She said something about a girlfriend.
I said I was looking, but I'm going HOME to my girlfriend.
She asked, "If you've got a girlfriend, why are you looking at other women?"
"Because my EYES still work?"
It went on from there, which is what lead to the other person in-line getting sucked into our little world.

We were both amused by the absurdity of the whole situation. The crapload o' Kool-Aid, her insistence, my reluctance, and the fact that a 5lb bag o' sugar wasn't EVEN gonna be enough.

All light-hearted humor that even drafted an innocent by-stander into the convo. In the end, we all told each other to have a great weekend or whatever and went out separate ways - but we walked away with smiles on our faces.

I just liked that.






* - Coincidentally, the reason I went looking for this flavor was because an online acquaintance mentioned that it'd been discontinued, but that he'd found exactly 70 packs in the clearance section.

** - A mother and daughter noticed my handful o' loot and asked if they were on sale. I told them they were, but didn't mention that I'd scooped up the last ones of that particular flavor. They might've asked for some.

1 comment:

West said...

Doug: I always frig up the name, but it's Apple Arctic Blast or something like that. Yum.



Ahh. I forgot to mention another part of the exchange. *edits blog post*