Monday, February 04, 2008

Biking Shorts - Part 1

I thought I'd drop a couple of short posts about my primary mode of transportation, these days, and a little about how it's changed me.


I got a brand-new bicycle (just be)for Christmas. It was all shiny and unspoiled.

I took it back within a couple of weeks.

We saw a local thrift store advertising discounted bikes. That's where I found a 20-year-old "hoopty"*** of a bike with a steel frame and high handle bars. Love at first sight.
I took it home that day.

It's funny that shiny and new didn't offer what *I* needed. It didn't coast far enough or "handle" high enough for my comfort. I wasn't looking for a speed demon. I was looking for a nice, comfortable bike to cruise around the neighborhood, get a little exercise, and maybe save gas money, along with the Earth.

Higher handle bars were easier on my back. I wasn't worried about wind resistance. I was worried about bone-itis*.

So infatuated with my new ride was I that, when I packed for my Christmas trip to see the family, I packed the bike, too.


You ain't seen NUFFIN' 'til you done seent a grown-ass Black man riding high on a old-ass comfort bike, with a big o' basket on the back, and a big-ass grin on his face. I was happy as could be, riding alongside all the kids with their brand-new, shiny Christmas bikes.

It was just what I wanted and (with some adjustments) it fit me to a "T." I'm sure I looked some kinda "special" cheesing my way down the street, back and forth to class, and even to the store, on ol' Trusty Rusty, but I couldn't give a damn.

Yes, my bike's got "battle scars" but that's all right. I am (and my legs muscles, especially are) gettin' fit again**, so it's all good.

No complaints. Well, maybe one, but that's for another post.


Click below to skip to:
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4




* a lil nod to the Futurama fans out there.
** I ain't TRYIN' to get a juicy in my old age!
*** - Actually, it's got something of a beach cruiser body style. Not quite as dorky as this, but close enough. Dorkily comfortable.

1 comment:

Blogger said...

Easily Increase Your ClickBank Traffic And Commissions

Bannerizer makes it easy for you to promote ClickBank products with banners, simply go to Bannerizer, and get the banner codes for your picked ClickBank products or use the Universal ClickBank Banner Rotator Tool to promote all of the available ClickBank products.