Wednesday, February 28, 2007

MegaCON 2007 pt. 1 - Snapshots

MegaCON is a convention for fans of comic books, sci-fi, and anime materials, among other things. There are things to see, buy, sell, eat (please don't), and play.
It usually takes place at the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando, Florida.


I've got stories to share, both good and bad, but I thought I'd start off (this very late post) with one of my favorite things:
Pictures!


Enjoy.
(Click photos to enlarge.)

(left) Birds-eye view of MegaCON 2007.









(right) The Huntress









Lotta people. Lotta skin.


(below) Rogue and Psylocke of the X-Men


















These ladies were kind enough to let me try out a couple of different flash modes.

I can't decide which is better. Great costumes.



(left) Akuma of Street Fighter fame














(right) Mystique and Deadpool










I dig Street Fighter from waaay back and you don't see many Akuma costumes (or Black people), so this was kinda cool. Mystique was a lil scary, but everyone's costumes were great.




(below) A couple of Black Cats
of Spider-Man fame


















The old school and the new school.


Daredevil, Psylocke, Gambit...
...and some dudes I dunno.




















My first flash mode produced rather creepy results so I copped someone else's photo op.
EDIT: Notice Gambit's "energized" throwing card. Lucky flash effect.


Carmen Sandiego
I found her! What do I win?!


















This young lady mentioned a Tampa event that takes place in November. I don't recall the details, right now.

Excellent, very novel costume choice.

(left) Nick Fury of The Ultimates










(right) Superboy and... umm...?










I'm glad I took a chance and asked if this guy was Nick Fury. He didn't think people recognized him. I think folks were afraid he was just a Black guy with one eyeball. He was so happy he asked for a pic of me, too!

Superboy's costume is one of the best I've seen. I don't know who the other guy is, but he's braver than I.


(left) Wonder Woman/Green Lantern sandwich.









(right) The Green Hornet.










It was nice to see a couple of different Green Lanterns representing. I assume that's Hal Jordan and Kyle Rayner. Great WW outfit, too.

The Green Hornet is pretty unusual. I'm glad I spotted him.


(left) Batgirl, Wonder Woman, & Superman










(right) Lou Ferrigno from the live-action "Hulk" series










So cute. So blurry.
(The kids, not Lou.)



(left) Robot from "Lost In Space"









(right) R2D2 and friends










I regret not snapping some pix of the C3PO, as well. R2 was mobile (and vocal), by the way.


(left) Green Arrow











(right) Orange County Convention Center











That's the GA from a recent episode of Smallville. Damned nice costume.
Annnd a shot of the convention center as we departed. Kinda reminds me of that Sydney opera house.

Good-Bye, Orlando!
That's all, folks!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

......wow. Convention for comic books nuts--I mean, fans. You learn somethin' new errday!

West said...

Heyyy, it's those same comic books that are leading to some of Hollywood's highest-grossing movies, these days.

Anonymous said...

Hey this was a great post. I have NEVER been to a ComicCon, but have always wanted to go to one. It's great to finally "see" for real....and from a Black man too!

This might be a bit personal, but I gotta ask: How did you break your interest in comics to your significant other? I've got a really woman that I'm talking to know, but I'm kinda hesitant to tell her that I still read comics for fear that she may not be cool with that. I'm all ears......

West said...

I'm glad you dug it, frank.

re: "How did you break your interest in comics to your significant other?"

I think I mentioned it to her before we were an item. In fact, I was probably with someone else, at the time.

In past relationships? Hmmm. Good question.

It always came out one way or another, but I'll be darned if I can think of any examples. If anything comes to me, I'll let you know.

P/S For what it's worth, none of them has ever held it against me, though (to my knowledge anyway).

DYKC?™ said...

Straight up, that brutha next to superboy, was ALSO at NYCC.

The Exact.
Same.
Brutha.

Do you think that cat has a j-o-b?

West said...

I think there are some folks who regularly "tour" conventions across the country. To hear this one guy tell it, I got the impression that somebody may subsidize their expenses... sometimes.

Miz JJ said...

I have never been that into comics except Archie. Now I mostly read newspaper comics like Boondocks or Dilbert. Although, my all time fave was Calvin & Hobbes.

Why no pics of you in costume. That makes me kind of sad. Lol.

West said...

Heh.

I don't do the dress-up thing. I've considered it, but never fully committed.

Besides, I'd probably be like the Black guy in the suit: not in costume so much as in-character with the right threads.

Michael May said...

Great pics! I'm smiling at the image of the Nick Fury guy breaking his tough guy character to get all excited that someone recognized him.