Wednesday, January 24, 2007

NEWS - Southern secession?

source: White Atlanta suburbs push for secession - Yahoo! News

I could see people, regardless of race, feeling that they ought to gain more benefit from their contributions. I'm not sure if the racial allegations are fair.

The use of "secession" in the title is certainly going to influence reader perceptions and interpretations.

What do you think? Is this simple economics or is this racism?

Personally, I have a hard time discounting the former since these people will be just as close to Blacks, geographically, as they already were. History and human behavior makes it hard to discount the latter, as well.

Thanks for m'lady for the link.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I live here in the southern part of Fulton county. And I sent my son to school on the northern part of the county, so he was on a bus an hour each way to school. I knew that I could not afford a brand new house in north Fulton county. What I paid here might have gotten a small 30 to 40 year old condo (that had was previously apartments) on the otherside of the county.

As a resident I feel it is racially motivated, and it would affect many things, including the political map of Atlanta. Meaning that at some point voting districts would change as well, which would probably mean fewer Democrats/Blacks in the Georgia Legislature.