Monday, December 04, 2006

TECH - 2GB SanDisk Cruzer FlashDrive


It's very convenient, having a flashdrive on your keychain. The storage capacity is many, many times that of the now outdated (and imprecisely named) 3.4MB "floppy disks," they can be popped into a usb port with ease, and they're small enough to stay out of the way until you need'em.

I use mine to transfer data between my computers (i.e. work to home, vice-versa, etc.) or just to keep back-ups of files I need and want (like registration/activation codes).


On the day after Thanksgiving (which I try not to refer to as 'Black Friday'), I scooped up some good deals on gadgetry of one sort or another. One example was the 2GB SanDisk Cruzer Micro flashdrive.

They offer other sizes, but the 2GB version was on-sale at Best Buy for about $29.99. I even picked one up for my co-worker since she was unlikely to brave the crowds and the elements that particular morning.

Here are the specs, as listed on their website:

  • Capacities: 512MB, 1GB, 2GB, 4GB
  • Retractable USB connector
  • Brilliant amber LED
  • U3 smart enabled
  • Loaded with the following U3 programs
    • CruzerSync synchronization software
    • SignupShield password manager
    • SKYPE "Make video calls from PC to PC"
    • AVAST antivirus software
  • Dimensions: 7.94mm x 20.6mm x 57.15mm (D x W x L)
  • Hi-Speed USB 2.0 certified (backwards compatible with all USB 1.1 ports)
  • Compatible with Windows 2000, SP4 and XP*
  • Certified Windows 2000 and XP*
    * U3 functionality only supported on Windows 2000 (SP4 and later) & XP OS
I'm not sure how many U3-compatible programs may be out there, but it's nice to have the option to store full applications on a flashdrive that can be hooked to any computer. I'm mostly impressed by the retractable usb connector, the keychain option, and the storage capacity (and, of course, the DATG price).

Of course, they're selling for more than they were on November 24th, but I'm sure you can find the right one for your needs... at the right price.


EDIT: Sometimes, the drives seem incompatible with a given computer. From what I've read, there are easy fixes for this. In my case, the drive worked on my co-worker's computer and two of my laptops, but it wouldn't work on my work computer. I fixed the issue by removing the U3 software, but I think uninstalling or closing MusicMatch would've worked, too.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't like those SanDisk drives that come with the U3 stuff on 'em. They take away from the maximum capacity of the drive, which is already missing a few MB of space as it is since that's the section the holds the formatting info of the drive.

Just give me a plain ole 2GB USB drive.....

West said...

I removed the U3 software from mine.

princessdominique said...

I've got to say that you keep me tech ready!

West said...

Happy to be of service.

Anonymous said...

I know I am late, and I need to get back to the books. But 2G for $29.99? I am soo jealous. I love that it is retractable, but I only have a 512. One day I will catch up to you on the technology. LOL

West said...

My other one is a 512. I use both, for now.

My girlfriend got a 1GB for a bit more (but at least she didn't have to wait in line in the cold).

You can probably find a nice deal during the season.

:-)