Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Dave Cockrum - R.I.P.

Dave Cockrum co-created some of the most recognizeable comic book characters out there - including some that you non-comics fans have enjoyed on the big-screen (i.e. X-movies). WizardUniverse.com reports that he passed away in his sleep, recently.

If you're interested in seeing what other comics professionals had to say about Mr. Cockrum just click on the link above.

Personally, I'm very fond of Mr. Cockrum's takes on the X-Men, despite John Byrne's phenomenal follow-up. There was something about Dave Cockrum's style that was very distinctive and has endured, through various iterations of the characters, to this day.

He will be missed.

1 comment:

Luke Cage said...

Everytime I saw Cockrum's artwork in any title outside of our favorite merry mutants, I thought of his work on the X-Men. I mean West, those early books was the jumpoff. Where would that title be today if Cockrum hadn't pioneered that new age of mutants? Storm, Banshee, Colossus and Nightcrawler??? Man the latter 2 were my favorite X-men and still are today! RIP big Dave...