Monday, July 24, 2006

TECHNOLOGY - Treo 650 smartphone

I've mentioned it before, but the topic seems to have resurfaced, of late.My mobile phone is the Palm Treo 650. More info's available on Palm's site: click here.


Here's an excerpt:
The Palm Treo 650 smartphone makes it easier than ever to stay connected. It simplifies your life by combining a compact, full-featured mobile phone with email, including AOL, Gmail and Yahoo!, an organizer, messaging, and web access. All of which is within easy reach using the Treo 650 smartphone's finger-friendly QWERTY keyboard. There's also Bluetooth technology for connecting wirelessly to other Bluetooth devices such as headsets and car kits. Not to mention an MP3 player to listen to your tunes, a digital camera that captures video, and a vibrant color screen that brings everything to life. What's more, you can easily send video clips, text messages, and photos to friends and colleagues. And with the Intel PXA270 processor, you get impressive multimedia performance and power savings. With the Treo 650, smartphones just keep getting smarter.
I love it. While it's antenna apparently isn't as great as some clamshell mobile phones, it has so much more to offer in one device.

(Besides, clamshells have bendy-parts and bendy-parts are vulnerable.)



Ooooh, one more thing - in fact, it's one of my favorite things about the Treo 650: It can be used to provide internet access to a computer. Basically, you'd be using your mobile phone as a modem (kinda like those of you with dial-up use your land-line phone for AOL access).

"So what?"
I'll tell you "what,".

Here's an example:
I can be driving around town, right. Then I realize I need to get online and access several sites. Now, like a lot of mobile phones, my Treo can be used to surf the internet. In fact, it's very good at it - even allowing me to access regular websites, instead of just the very simple mobile sites.

But let's say I need a faster connection and need to access sites that are very, very graphics-heavy. I could just whip out my laptop and Treo, push some buttons, and the laptop will have near-broadband speed internet access... right there, in the car.

I know that may be mildly confusing, since the Treo 650 only has dial-up speed internet access, but when it's used as a modem, it provides faster-than-dial-up access to your computer... wireless, using Bluetooth technology!
So yeah, that's one of my favorite things about the Treo 650.

2 comments:

Remnants of U said...

Thank you West. This sounds soo cool, so once again, you have given me great information on a new toy that I want, but cannot afford. LOL
I don't know about that flea market you go to, but I doubt that mine would have it.

West said...

This sucker I wouldn't buy from a flea market.

Too hard to test well enough to give up hundreds of dollars and then walk away with no warranty.

But yeah, you're welcome. :-)


By the way, there are discounts offered by mobile phone providers. Also, consider all the devices you WOULDN'T have to buy if you owned this one.

Just a thought.