Monday, July 10, 2006

Blade: The Series

Ratzo's not too fond of the Blade television series. After watching the hit-n-miss pilot, I couldn't blame him, too much.

After seeing the follow-up episode, though, now I can!

That was one tight-ass episode.

THIS is what I'm talking about! Goyer and company are just tossing aside the formula for television series and starting from scratch.

However this turns out, I've gotta show'em some love for that.

I'll admit that some of Blade's dialogue was stilted as all hell and that I'm not too fond of seeing him standing there with a fist-full of gluteus maximus.

Blade got his ass handed to him too many times, for my tastes, but the damned episode was STILL on-point!

I'll admit to a few "ooooooooOOOOOOOHHH's," when they actually said "shit" on a television series outside of HBO, but the series seems to be about more than maintaining the status quo, stroking Blade's sword, or shocking and aweing us to death:

Don't tell the tv execs, but SOMEbody actually came up with a story they wanted to tell.

Whodathunkit?

Hell, even my tried-n-true method of picking out the "Yeoman Johnson's" of the cast fell apart. I never know who's gonna live or die (with one understandable exception).


Good acting.
Good storytelling.
Good show.

Oh my.

3 comments:

Luke Cage said...

Damn it West, you beat me to the punch. I was just about to blog about ol' boy too. I can probably put a spin on it too. The pilot was slow, but that's expected especially since they want new fans to get properly introduced to Blade. Last Tuesday's episode was indeed tight and the action was ratcheted up a notch. I'm feeling the fight scenes too man.

West said...

I mentioned on Ratzo's blog (but I don't know if I mentioned it on mine or not) that the 2-hr pilot could've easily been 1-hr, but I can kinda see why they'd go the route they did.

Like you said, acclimating newbies may be a consideration. Then there's the development of the story (which I feel has come quite a ways in 2 episodes).

princessdominique said...

I've gotta check it out. I'm so iffy when it comes to television though because the moment you're truly interested in a show, it up and gets canceled.